When my son suddenly came rushing into my room and said, "I want to make eggnog !", I was really surprised. What is eggnog anyway ? And how did he know about it ? So, I just answered him with "Okay". Google is always be my hero in that situation. All I need to do is only type the right keywords, and voila.... :)
Eggnog is egg-based drink with milk/cream, sugar, liquor and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. In US and Canada, eggnog is popular and associated to Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. Since it consists raw eggs, I search for the simplest and not using too much eggs. Some recipes using only egg yolks, so I just have to skip that (I don't want to waste too much egg whites).
(adapted from http://www.savvyhomemade.com/homemade-eggnog.html)
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons brandy (I don't use this)
How to :
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Whisk in the vanilla extract, half of the nutmeg, milk and brandy.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill.
4. When you're ready to serve, pour the eggnog into glasses and sprinkle a little nutmeg across the top to serve.