Another fish cake recipe from me, but this one is grilled one (I've posted a recipe of fried Indonesian fish cake here). Indonesia as a maritime country has so many varieties of recipe with fish as the main ingredient. Some regions also have their own specialties. Palembang famous with pempek, kemplang (fish cracker) and otak-otak and Makassar is best known for its fresh seafood especially barbequed fish.
Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore are some countries where you could find the street vendor of grilled otak-otak easily. Otak-otak panggang or grilled otak-otak is very addictive. With peanut dipping sauce as a perfect accompaniment to grilled otak-otak. One is never enough !!
Like any other weekend, when I stay at home I take time to cook something I haven't cooked before. Wake up early in the morning and feel enthusiastic with the weekend project. Clean up the house, go to the market (I love traditional market !) and cook ! It will be complete when the house is clean, food is ready to be served, we eat together and my family enjoy the food. Plus a big smile on their faces as a bonus. Yes....this is what I call refreshing on my weekend.
Grilled fish cake
- 200 gr ground mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 50 gr mung bean starch
- 1 stalk onion leaf, finely chopped
- 150 ml thick coconut
- banana leaves for wrapping
Peanut sauce :
- 150 gr roasted peanuts
- 2 bird eye chilies
- 3 red chilis
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 60 gr sugar
- 250 ml hot water
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
How to :
1. Fish cake : grind shallots, garlic and white pepper to a fine paste. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, add in fish, salt and egg white. Mix well.
2. Add grounded shallots, garlic, white pepper and sugar.
3. Pour coconut, beat the mixture until smooth. Add mung bean starch and onion leaf. Mix well.
4. Rub some oil in the inner side of banana leaf before placing the fish mixture. Place about 20 gr of the fish mixture, fold and secure it with toothpick.
5. Preheat the grill and place the the fish cake on the grill by flipping them for couple of times until set.
6. Peanut sauce : blend roasted peanuts and chilies in a blender until smooth. In a medium bowl, place all ingredients. Stir evenly.
7. Serve fish cakes with the sauce.
- 200 gr daging ikan tenggiri, haluskan
- 1 sdt garam
- 1 putih telur
- 2 butir bawang merah, dihaluskan
- 1 siung bawang putih, dihaluskan
- 1/4 sdt merica bubuk
- 1 sdm gula pasir
- 50 gr tepung hunkwe
- 1 batang daun bawang, diiris halus
- 150 ml santal kental dari 1/2 butir kelapa
- daun pisang untuk membungkus
- 150 gr kacang tanah goreng, haluskan
- 2 cabai rawit, dihaluskan
- 3 buah cabai merah keriting, dihaluskan
- 1 1/4 sdt garam
- 60 gr gula pasir
- 250 ml air panas
- 1/2 sdm makan cuka
1. Otak-otak : Aduk rata daging tenggiri, garam dan putih telur.
2. Masukkan bawang merah, bawang putih, merica bubuk dan gula pasir.
3. Tuang santan. Aduk sampai kalis. Tambahkan tepung hunkwe dan daun bawang. Aduk rata.
4. Oleskan minyak di bagian dalam daun pisang yang akan diletakkan adonan. Sendokkan 20 gr adonan ke daun pisang. Bungkus. Sematkan lidi.
5. Panggang di atas bara api sambil dibolak-balik sampai matang.
6. Sambal : aduk rata kacang tanah, cabai, garam, gula pasir, air panas dan cuka.
7. Sajikan otak-otak bersama dengan sambalnya.