Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pelasan Ikan Tongkol / Steamed Spicy Cob Fish wrapped in banana-leaves

Pelasan, also known as pepes in Bahasa Indonesia. Yup, it because those foods are wrapped with banana-leaf. The first time I knew and taste Pelasan Ikan Tongkol was from my mother-in-law, it's all because she is from Pasuruan, East Java.

Pelasan Ikan Tongkol

After almost 8 years of marriage, I've been in Pasuruan once some years ago. The weather is so hot, but I love the food. Sadly, I didn't have much time to explore every single place in Pasuruan. But I had an opportunity to taste the famous dish "Kupang", I was curious with that food.

View days ago, my mother-in-law had sent me 5 pieces pelasan ikan tongkol. My assumpsion was my son doesn't like it because its spicy flavor. So when my son wanted the last piece of pelasan, he ate and he liked it. Bam.....he wanted more. I didn't know how to make pelasan tongkol before, and now it's the time. I want to try to make this dish on my own. As I mentioned before, I'm not really a good chef but I bet my son can count me on this thing.


Ingredients :
- cob fish / ikan tongkol cuwe
- chilies
- garlic
- salt
- sugar
- tamarind, soaked in warm water
- banana-leaves for wrapping

How to :
1. Cut cob fish/ ikan tongkol in 7 cm long, set aside.
2. Soak tamarind in warm water.
3. Blend chilies and garlic, add sugar and salt. Then add tamarind into the chili sauce.
4. Arrange the cob fish on the banana-leaves, add with chili sauce. Wrap them up and tie them with a string or pin with wood tooth picks
5. Heat the steamer and steamed all pepes for about 25 minutes. Cool them down.

My son really enjoy this dish especially with warm rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to leave comment on my post. I will respond as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...